Mold/Mildew Clean-Up

Stay calm. We can help. Safely. Affordably.

Break the Mold uses environmentally safe products to get rid of your mold and corrects the source of the problem for good.

“Black mold” strikes fear into the hearts of homeowners with good reason. It can cause serious health issues for everyone.  Especially vulnerable are the very young and very old. There’s no reason to panic if you find this unwelcome visitor in your home, but it is extremely important that you have a professional inspection as soon as possible.

A Safe Solution
Break the Mold knows how to identify the root cause of your mold problem and eliminate the conditions that allowed the mold (black or other colors) to grow in the first place. Using a safe, non-toxic treatment, we’ll treat existing mold and show you how to take steps to help keep it from becoming a problem again. Prevention is key!

Custom Treatment for Your Situation
When it comes to mold, there are no generic answers; every situation and every home is unique.  This is why we always start with an inspection.  This allows us to craft a plan specifically for your home.

Executing the plan almost always involves minor construction work to address moisture issues. You can handle this yourself or we can do it for you using trusted and licensed contractors we’ve worked with before. The amount of work needed depends on your specific situation.

The mold remediation itself is done using a unique and proven mold removal process that effectively and safely decontaminates your home.  Break the Mold uses a less labor-intensive procedure than traditional methods, making our solution surprisingly affordable.

Call us today at 269-359-0822 or contact us online to get your mold inspection.

Why Choose Break the Mold?

No pressures, no scare tactics, no conflict of interest
Break the Mold offers inspections, and we never pressure homeowners into expensive mold testing. You see, it doesn’t matter if you have “black mold” or some other variety – our treatment for all mold is the same.  Nevertheless, if mold testing is required or desired, that service is available.

Better and less expensive mold treatment – guaranteed
Many mold companies work based on guidelines written 30 years ago that are neither efficient nor effective. They use a very labor-intensive process that involves physically removing mold which releases spores. The released spores just perpetuate the mold problem.

Break the Mold uses a (safe, non-toxic foaming) technique to kill mold in place while also treating your home to kill and eliminate airborne spores and toxins. Treatment usually takes a day; larger homes may take up to two. Break the Mold’s treatment is less disruptive than traditional methods and costs less, too. Plus, we stand behind the effectiveness of our process! We guarantee 99.99% of the mold in treated areas of your home will be eliminated.

Safe products
Break the Mold uses safe, non-toxic products. After they’re applied, they break down into harmless components within 4-6 hours. This means a healthier home for you.

We’re flexible and work on your terms
Our goal is to help you create a healthy environment without getting hung up on who does what. We’ll explain the construction that needs to be done to correct the sources of the problem. The choice of how it gets done is up to you. If you’re a do-it-yourselfer, we’ll explain the construction issues that need to be addressed. If you prefer to use a contractor, we’ll work with yours or hire one for you.

Call us today at 269-359-0822 or contact us online to get your mold inspection.

We are extremely happy with Break the Mold and the wonderful job John and his team did to save our old farmhouse. The house has been in our family 140 years, but after all this time, a swing in humidity and temperature allowed mold to start taking hold of the house. We had no idea what to do, and we feel so lucky to have found Break the Mold. John and his company have a passion for helping people with this crippling and potentially deadly health issue, but he also helps people deal with the grief and loss of precious belongings that can occur when mold takes hold.

John managed the project from start to finish, with a scope that required all carpet, draperies, upholstered furnishings, and especially particle board and cardboard products to be removed and the whole house treated. He spent a great deal of time explaining all aspects of the job, products, and options. We were especially pleased with the non-hazardous products he used, and the detailed information he provided. His team removed, cleaned, and put back all the furnishings that were saved (more than we expected). He provided a long-term plan that will help prevent mold issues from coming back.

John was very easy to work with, and he brought a vast experience to the job. In addition to mold, he identified areas where creatures had come into the house. He helped us find experts to prevent that issue, and then he worked hard to clean and remove all odors and damage. In addition, he provided a rare sense of trust as I dealt with the loss of my father immediately after the job began. His goal was to complete the job with as little impact to us as possible, and he gave us the wonderful surprise of having the house ready for family members to visit after my father’s funeral. Many of them hadn’t seen the house and farm in decades.

John made sure we were completely satisfied with the job at the finish. His attention to detail was amazing, and well worth the cost. We can’t thank John and his team enough for getting us though this scary and difficult experience. We highly recommend Break the Mold!

Stachybotrys chartarum (sometimes referred to as “toxic black mold”) is a greenish-black mold, which grows on household surfaces that have high cellulose content, such as wood, fiberboard, gypsum board (drywall), paper, dust, and lint. The unwelcome presence of Stachybotryx is usually an indicator that there has been elevated moisture present or previous water damage.

John Sweeney is knowlegable and trustworthy with a dose of “good guy” thrown in. He did a great job….with our mold issue and my sensitivities I was trusting him with my life…and he is truly a lifesaver!

Mold Facts

  • Even though you can’t see mold spores with the naked eye they’re everywhere. And, they’ve been around forever!
  • Mold only grows where it has moisture and food. Mold “eats” anything organic, including carpeting, drywall, wood, and dirt.  It particularly loves man-made wood composite products such as OSB.
  • We can’t entirely eliminate mold spores or its food, so our best way to prevent mold growth is to control moisture.
  • Identifying why the mold was able to grow is the most important factor in making your home safer.

Bleach Isn’t Best for All Surfaces

  • Effectively killing mold involves reaching its “roots.”
  • On non-porous surfaces, bleach can be effective for getting rid of mold.  Examples of non-porous surfaces would be glass, metal, or plastics.
  • However, with porous materials such as wood, bleach does a poor job. It typically only kills the surface mold, leaving the “roots” to grow again. Plus, bleach can damage wood and give off toxic fumes.
  • Sometimes, the bleach fumes may be more hazardous than the mold itself, especially when mixed with other chemicals!
  • Bleach solution is mostly water, often doing more harm than good!